Please consider donating to the Winona Volunteer Services (WVS) Food Shelf during the July Open Your Heart Summer Challenge. Your gift helps us keep basic food items on our shelves, helps our most vulnerable neighbors fight rising food prices and helps WVS get a proportional grant award from Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless.
Mail donations to 402 East Second Street Winona MN 55987 or donate online at www.winonavs.org
Here is a snapshot of our work in May 2022.
- Served 636 households with an average of 68 pounds of food.
- Purchased $15,503.00 worth of food while volunteers sorted and distributed 43,291 pounds through the food shelf.
- Anyone who appeared at our food shelf was served and no documentation is required.
- 70% of the primary contacts were Caucasian, 8% African American, 7% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 2 Native American and 12% did not identify.
- Income sources vary with 28.5% employed, 27% receiving various government benefits, 23% receiving social security, 18.2% indicating no income, .4% claiming unemployment benefits and 2.8% did not identify an income source.
- Food shelf recipients range in age from newborns to 97 years old with 15.2% seniors, 26.9% children and 57.7% adults.
Thank you Winona for supporting this vital community resource.